Saturday, March 19, 2011

Diva Dog

She sits at my feet
Not obediently, mind you.
No, actually she stands!

Did I already say she's at my feet?
Sorry I was distracted.

She's standing there,
Staring from below
And I know what she
Silently asks for, shaking
Shivering, slow-moving tears
Slipping from her eyes.

I tell her no and she whines
A high pitched
Little shrill of a demand.
"turn your phone on
Vibrate. You know the
Itty bitty chime sound
Terrifies the heck out of me"
Like the wind
And the click of a timer
And the sound of bread
Coming out of a bag
Or the ding of the toaster
When it's done.

I ignore the plea and
Her ears move back
Her lids grow closer together
In a depressed little squint
Directed at me.
I am the cause of her pain.
She lets it be known.

I glare at her resentfully
I bought this phone
For the sound capacity
And freedom
I'm not going to silence it
For a shaking, tiny being.
I REFUSE.

I won't turn it off.
Not yet at least.
I'll let it go off
A few more times
Just to show her
Who is boss
And then eventually
It'll go back to vibrate
Like it has been
For months.
Because of my diva dog.

No comments: