Friday, September 30, 2011

Sex By Numbers

I recently went on a date where the number of men I’d been with sexually came up. It is a low number and while I haven’t previously considered myself to be proud of the number, I also am most definitely not ashamed of it. That said, the man’s response to the number was a bit of a surprise to me.

His eyes widened as he said “But you’re so cute,” and after a short pause, asked “Why?”

I answered with one statement when I should have answered with all of the below:

Because I have a high regard for my body.

Because I demand respect

…not just from a man, but from myself.

Because I value my emotional health.

Because I prefer quality over quantity.

Because I prefer character to a mere part of the human anatomy.

Because I am a good judge of character and have a strong intuition.

Because I am not a number, nor should anyone else be.

I think that covers all the bases.

While I could be frustrated by these happenings, I am, tonight, grateful for the man who inspired this train of thought for the simple reason that I needed to be reminded that I am actually very proud of that number. And here’s the most important answer:

Because I feel that it is a positive reflection of my character. And I like who that character makes me.

1 comment:

Byrd said...

I think you are amazing for being able to realize all that!

and you are so correct, people are more than a number and it has nothing to do with lack of opportunity or lack of cutness like the guy implied.

your reasons are spot on and I am proud of you for being strong in who you are.