Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bike-cology.

It is amazing what the small things in life can tell you about a person.

From their handwriting to the way they ride a bike, to their body language, there are so many small things that can be so revealing about someone new in your life. Or some revisited friendship.

Biking, until recently, has not been a part of my life. But when I finally found it back in my life I found that I have a need for speed. I'm not one who likes to just cruise and take things at a slow pace. Once I find my path I like to hit the road and race towards my goal destination.

When in a formation, however, or a group, I tend to neither assume the role of a leader nor a caboose. I am perfectly in the middle, maybe sometimes hanging back to pay attention to what is behind me, to lessons of the past, and sometimes striving a little more forward, toward the one ahead, looking at prospects of success in the future. I guess my comfort with my space and my speed may represent that I am comfortable enough just where I am in life at the moment, and taking in whatever needs to be processed along the way. I'm looking to be guided, and in terms of adventures (at least recently) I'm rather reluctant to take the reigns and go out on the road "alone" with others following me.

A dear friend who I have such admiration for, and his daughter, who I have been learning about slowly over the past several days and who I am coming to really admire also, have been my biking buddies. Gene tends to lead, and by a pretty fair distance. My interpretation of this, is that he likes his independence. However, at times, he will hang back and ask someone else to lead or keep him company. Like sometimes he needs a break from being so in control. He seems mostly easy-going in his pursuit of distance in his biking, however, at the same time it seems that he has some goal he is trying to reach or point his is trying to prove to himself or to others. Whether it be getting to such a destination in his head more quickly or making sure he makes it over that challenging hill. He wants to succeed. More for himself than anything.

Summer, on the other hand, is almost always in the very back trailing further behind in distance then I would to Gene. My interpretation of Summer's biking habits in correspondence to her personality is that she is very easy going and a little more tentative than either Gene or myself in her ventures. It seems to me that whatever she does she observes her surroundings in great depth, which may slow her down physically (in terms of biking) but this gains her a deeper knowledge of the workings of things around her. From people to places she seems to really have a grasp on what she takes in. At the same time, her age could also contribute to her cautiousness. Being 16 there are a number of things to be wary of, from friends to habits, activities to opportunities. Such things must be weighed, which also may weigh down on her and cause her to take things at a slower and more leisurely pace.

Just some observations I've had while on the road. Finally a chance to verbalize (though it always is so much better on a screen or on a paper than when it would fall from my mouth).

No comments: