Saturday, August 29, 2009

Luxury & the Pursuit of.

Sometimes a girl just needs to write. And there are times when a girl needs to write but cannot find a topic to write about. And in those times, this here girl goes to do a google search on "random journal topics" and chooses luxury.

Luxury and the concept that to every person, luxury is different, is interesting to me. The Mega millions lottery was recently $325 million and it got me thinking about just what I would do with such an amount of money.

Interestingly enough I found that I wouldn't really do "much" with it. If you consider the topic of travel, broadly, I don't want to do much. If you consider the many different places I'd like to visit, then it gets to be substancial.

The short way about this, is that luxury, to me, means the ability to do whatever one wants without much thought to their personal finances or work that is viewed as a chore rather than the pursuit of something that they enjoy.

Allow me to provide an example: I won the $325 million lottery. After paying off all of my small debt, I would be in the lap of absolute luxury. With that amount of money I feel that I could just drop anything and go and do anything, purchase anything that I wanted to do without any thought to my current job. I am replaceable, and easily so. I could take a private jet to a far away country or countries, shop in the most expensive stores, drive the nicest cars, eat the highest quality foods and still have plenty left over. I'd also be able to consider my photography "work" as it wouldn't matter if I sold any pieces, really. It would be something I did to keep me busy, and entertained but could also bring in income, which would be work but not a chore.

For me, luxury is not the car itself, or the clothes or fine jewelery or the art pieces. For me it is the somewhat effortless ability to have them.

And thinking about that, I realize that you can't just have luxury to be happy.

I wrote out this list of things I would do, in some sort of order, if I should have won the lottery. I would take better care of myself was the sum of the very first things I would do. Hair, spa days, reliable transportation, personal trainers and language education. Then came the travel to dozens of other countries and the education on their history by my own personal expert historian. The shopping and the self expansion via exploration in those countries.

The pursuit of other topics of education came after the whole travel bit as well as donations to charity (I need to find some close to my heart before I just give) and then after that there I was with this blank space. I don't want to buy a house before I have someone to share it with romantically. I don't want a dog until I have someone to romantically share the responsibility with.

(and this is where I let out a big fat sigh).

Bottom line: I guess I don't really need too much to feel my life is luxurious enough. But I'm going to keep my list going. Because if I can feel like I am in the lap of luxury without having billions of dollars, I suppose I'd really be on top of my own personal universe.

No comments: